So, you’ve decided you are going to take on the great task of record collecting. Good for you! Vinyl is an extraordinary thing to collect! BUT not all vinyl is worth collecting. So, before you go and raid your parent’s attic in search of grooved treasures, read this first. It will save you a lot of time, money and aggravation.
In our on-going series we have been doing with Bop Shop Records, we decided to ask the inevitable……what about collecting? The hows and whys of what to do and more importantly maybe, what NOT to do? These are the questions we asked and the information we gathered. We believe it will help you in your vinyl collecting endeavors.
- So, what would be the first thing you would tell any would-be collector?
COLLECT WHAT YOU LIKE. It’s not going to help you if you are a jazz enthusiast and all you look for are rock records or you try to cover the entire gambit of genres. *Sort of like stick to what you know. If not anything else, at least you will have records you will listen to.
- If you have records that smell (smoke, mold, mildew, etc. ) if you cannot remove the smell in a slightly organic way (see our odor remover at bagsunlimited.com) then get rid of it. Records that have an odor are not worth anything. And one record that smells could destroy an entire batch.
Book Deodorizer Granules. One Lb. Container. Use these book deodorizer granules to solve odorous book problems and to absorb moisture. Removes cigarette smoke, mildew odors, and general mustiness.
- ALWAYS keep records in a controlled temperature environment. Heat and cold are not vinyl’s friend. *see footnotes for ideas
- ALWAYS….NO EXCEPTIONS, keep your records in acid-free sleeves and store them upright in LP or 45 or 78 boxes like the ones at bagsunlimited.com
- Find a reputable and knowledgeable professional (Bop Shop Records is one) who can determine the pricing for your records.
- THINK SMART. Just because it’s a BEATLES ALBUM it doesn’t mean it’s worth a million dollars. So, before you plunk down your life savings for what you think is a GREAT FIND, check it out first.
32 oz. Screw Top Cap. Deep cleaning , antistatic, residue free. Bags Unlimited’s own formula. Cleans about 400 vinyl LP records.
- Clean your records before storing them with a good record cleaner, I recommend Groovy Cleaner. And MAKE SURE THEY ARE DRY BEFORE STORING!
- When in doubt, ask first. If you have an album that has NEVER been opened, don’t open it until you know what you might lose in worth by doing so.
- NEVER put your record boxes directly on any floor. And check the weight capability. It’s best not to stack if you don’t have to, but if you do, get VERY sturdy boxes like these.
- MOST OF ALL, have fun!!!!!!! If it isn’t fun, don’t do it.